Thursday 23 January 2014

My Passion To Travel

I’m currently sat at my dining table, looking out of the patio window and into the sky. I’m watching the clouds move slowly out of my sight and wondering where they’re going. It brings a sinking feeling in my stomach. Just as I typed this I looked back up and saw a plane flying overhead. All those people setting off on an adventure. Going to explore a part of the world that I had possibly never been to before. That sinking feeling just got deeper. I want to be on that plane. I want to travel.

It all started a year after I finished school. I started college, got myself a job, went out with friends. I had everything a teenage girl could want, some would say, but for me, something was missing. I used to look out the same window and get the exact same sinking feeling. Why was I so down? I was down because I felt trapped.  I felt like society was planning my life out for me. Going to college, followed by university, then getting a sensible job because ‘’It’s the right thing to do’’ and ‘’everyone else is doing it’’. I could already see how much of a routine my life would be and it was scaring me. If someone asked me ‘’what I did last week’’ I wouldn’t remember. Nothing stood out to me. My life was so much of a routine that all the days felt like they merged into one. The thought of having a 9-5 job is just…*shivers*. Don’t get me wrong, this way of life works for a lot of people and I believe people should do whatever makes them happy. But it doesn’t make me happy. And maybe, because you’re reading this, it doesn’t make you happy either?
‘’Don’t let making a living, prevent you from making a life’’ 
- John Wooden
It had come to that time of the year for me and my mum to take a trip to Spain, our yearly girls holiday. I was truly grateful I was able to visit other countries growing up. Learning about their cultures, trying different cuisine. I felt so complete and worry free. It had been a wonderful week away in Spain and was time for us to fly back home. Back to reality. Back to routine. The sinking feeling came back and I started to cry. I cried in the taxi, at the airport, on the plane, in the car on the way to our house….….to be continued.


May 2013, a month after coming back from my holiday is when I figured what was missing from my life was adrenaline, excitement, something new.  I wanted to travel. That sinking feeling was the feeling of missing out on the world and it’s beauty. Being ‘young wild and free’ but not actually being wild and free because I was stuck in college and at a job I didn’t enjoy.  Not knowing what’s out there. The people I would meet, the friends I’d make, the places I could visit, new experiences just waiting for me. I continued saving up. Everything I earned went straight into the bank. I forgot the pin to the account  and made no effort to find out what it was. This way I couldn’t take the money out and do any retail therapy. If I wanted a new top, new shoes, new jacket: tough. This money would be towards my travels, and the more I save up, the more places i can visit.

             
        Photo Credit: http://Funzik.com 

''I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth, then i ask myself the same question'' - Harun Yahya

A year later and here I am. Writing this blog and feeling even eager to travel. My dream is that this time next year I’ll be setting off on a world adventure. So I’ve got a year to plan. I’ll be blogging my general teenage thoughts and feelings this year and what I’m up to on the planning process. When it does come to setting off on my adventures, I will start to vlog! (Like video diary’s so you can keep up with where I am, maybe I’ll bump into you someday!) I’m so excited it’s the only thing keeping me going right now. Knowing that I’m finally chasing my dreams. I hope you follow me on my journey and I hope this post somehow inspires you to follow your dreams. If you have any more thoughts or questions on travelling I definitely suggest you read:  justonewayticket.com



No comments:

Post a Comment